By configuring time quotas, you can limit the time that users of your network are allowed to spend for web usage.
Time quotas can be related to different parameters:
- URL categories — When time quotas are related to URL categories, users are allowed only a limited time for accessing URLs that fall into particular categories, for example, Online Shopping.
- IP addresses — When time quotas are related to IP addresses, users who send requests from particular IP addresses are allowed only a limited time for web usage.
- User names — When time quotas are related to user names, users are allowed only a limited time for web usage. Users are identified by the user names they submitted for authentication on the appliance.
These parameters are used by the rules in the library rule set for time quotas. You can create rules of your own that use other parameters in relation to time quotas.
The time that users spend on web usage is stored on the appliance. When the configured time quota has been exceeded for a user, a request that this user sends is blocked. A message is displayed to the user stating why the request was blocked.
Users are identified by the user names they submitted for authentication. If no user name is sent with a request, web usage is recorded and blocked or allowed for the IP address of the client system that the request was sent from.
Web usage can be limited to time spent per day, per week, or per month.
Configure time quotas
You can configure time quotas to limit the time users of your network spend on web usage.
- Select Policy | Rule Sets.
- On the rule sets tree, expand the rule set that contains rules for time quotas, for example, the Time Quota library rule set.
The nested rule sets appear.
- Select the appropriate nested rule set.
For example, to configure time quotas with regard to URL categories, select Time Quota With URL Configuration.
The general settings and rules of the rule set appear on the settings pane.
- In the rule set criteria, click the URL Category Block List for Time Quota list name.
The Edit List (Category) window opens.
NOTE: A yellow triangle next to a list name means the list is initially empty and you need to fill the entries.
- Add URL categories to the blocking list. Then click OK to close the window.
- In the criteria for one of the rules, click the URL Category Configuration settings name.
The Edit Settings window opens.
- Configure session time and the time quota per day, week, and month. Then click OK to close the window.
- Click Save Changes.