By configuring volume quotas, you can limit the volume of web objects, measured in GB and MB, that the users
of your network are allowed to download from the web.
Volume quotas can be related to several parameters:
- URL categories — Users are allowed to download only a limited volume of web objects through URLs that fall into particular categories, for example, Streaming Media.
- IP addresses — Users who send download requests from particular IP addresses are allowed only a limited volume.
- User names — Users are allowed to download web objects only up to a limited volume. Users are identified by the user names they submitted for authentication on the appliance.
- Media types — Users are allowed to download web objects belonging to particular media types only up to a limited volume.
These parameters are used by the rules in the library rule set for volume quotas. You can create rules of your own that use other parameters in relation to volume quotas.
Information on the volume that users download from the web is stored on the appliance. When the configured volume quota has been exceeded for a user, a request that this user sends is blocked. A message is displayed to the user stating why the request was blocked.
Users are identified by the user names they submitted for authentication. If no user name is sent with a request, web usage is recorded and blocked or allowed for the IP address of the client system that the request was sent from.
Web downloads can be limited to volume downloaded per day, per week, or per month.
Configure volume quotas
You can configure volume quotas to limit the volume that user of your network consume during their web usage.
- Select Policy | Rule Sets.
- On the rule sets tree, expand the rule set that contains rules for the volume quota , for example, the Volume Quota library rule set.
The nested rule sets appear.
- Select the appropriate nested rule set, for example, Volume Quota With IP Configuration.
The general settings and rules of the rule set appear on the settings pane.
- In the rule set criteria, click the appropriate blocking list name, for example, IP Block List for Volume Quota.
The Edit List (Category) window opens.
NOTE: A yellow triangle next to the list name means the list is initially empty and you need to fill the entries.
- Add the appropriate entries to the blocking list, for example, IP addresses. Then click OK to close the window.
- In the criteria for one of the rules, click the appropriate settings name, for example, IP Configuration.
The Edit Settings window opens.
- Configure the appropriate parameters, for example, session time and the volume quota per day, week, and month. Then click OK to close the window.
- Click Save Changes.