Update Software Using the mwg-edisk Tool
You can update the appliance software using the mwg-edisk tool to write an ISO image to a suitable device on the appliance.
Using this tool, an ISO image can be written to the embedded eUSB or SATA-DOM devices that the Web Gateway model E appliances are equipped with. Older appliance models do not include them. The already existing bootable image on the appliance is overwritten with the new image.
NOTE: The tool is included in Web Gateway version 8.2.8 and higher.
The tool takes a file with the ISO image as input and verifies its cryptographic signature. The tool also selects an appropriate device for writing the image to. This means you do not specify the device in a command.
The tool also makes sure that overwriting the wrong device, for example, a main disk, is avoided.
- Log on to the appliance where you want to perform a software update from a local system console or remotely using SSH.
When connecting with SSH, consider using a terminal multiplexer to ensure that the replacement procedure does not fail due to an unstable or broken SSH connection.
You can use the tmux multiplexer that Web Gateway has installed.
- Run this command to write a new ISO image to an embedded device.
mwg-edisk write <name of the ISO image file>
The file name usually includes version and build number of the new appliance software, for example, mwgappl-9.2.1-33599.x86_64.iso.
The image is written to a device and a signature is created for it. The command delivers output, for example, as follows:
[root@ww5500e1 ~]# mwg-edisk write mwgappl-9.2.0-32699.x86_64.iso ISO verification result: PASS Writing to: /dev/sdc 637+0 records in 637+0 records out 667942912 bytes (668 MB) copied, 129.239 s, 5.2 MB/s Transfer complete. # mwg-raid list md0 raid1 clean md0:0 sda1 md0:1 sdb1 md1 raid1 clean md1:0 sda2 md1:1 sdb2
- Restart the appliance to install the new appliance software.
- Restart the appliance, then press the F6 key to enter the boot menu. When working with the WBG-4500-E appliance, press F11 to enter the boot menu.
- From the boot menu, select 'SanDisk'CruzerFit. For the WBG-4500-E appliance, select P0: McAfee or SATADOM.
The ISO image that has been written to the embedded device is installed on the appliance.
The appliance is now updated with the new Web Gateway appliance software.