Hyper-V is a role in several Microsoft Windows Server products that provides the tools and services to create virtualized servers. You can use these servers as the virtual machines that are required for running Web Gateway as a virtual appliance.
Hyper-V feature Dynamic Memory must be disabled in the virtual appliance settings when configuring SWG on a Hyper-V virtual platform as this feature is not supported.
Requirements for setting up SWG on Hyper-V:
|Use||Memory (RAM in GB)||Hard disk space (in GB)||CPU cores|
|Functional testing (one user) or Central Management console (no traffic)||4||80||2|
|Production (recommended)||32||500||At least 4|
Set up SWG on Hyper-V using Windows Server 2012 R2:
- Install Hyper-V:
- Install Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Click Start | Administrative Tools | Server Manager.
- Click Add Roles in the Roles Summary area of the Server Manager main window.
- Click Hyper-V on the Select Server Roles page.
- Click Install on the Confirm Installation Selections page.
- Click Close | Yes to finish the wizard and restart the computer.
- Log in with the same account used to install the Hyper-V role after restarting the computer. After the Resume Configuration wizard completes the installation, click Close to finish the wizard.
- Create and set up a virtual machine:
- Open Hyper-V Manager. Click Start | Administrative Tools | Hyper-V Manager.
- Click New | Virtual Machine from the Actions pane.
- Click Next from the New Virtual Machine wizard.
- Specify a name for the virtual machine and where you want to store it, on the Specify Name and Location page. Then click Next.
- Specify the generation of the virtual machine on the Specify Generation page. Then click Next.
- Specify enough memory to run the guest operating system on the Assign Memory page. Then click Next.
- Connect the network adapter to an existing virtual network to establish network connectivity on the Configure Networking page. Then click Next.
- Specify a name, location, and size to create a virtual hard disk on the Connect Virtual Hard Disk page. Then click Next.
- Now Install an operating system on it. Choose the method you want to use to install the operating system on the Installation Options page.
- Click Finish.
- Choose the SWG ISO file and start the system to install SWG.
- Create a virtual network:
- Open Hyper-V Manager.
- Click Virtual Switch Manager from the Actions menu.
- Click New virtual network switch and select the type of network to create.
- Click Create Virtual Switch. The New Virtual Network page appears. Type a name for the new network and configure the properties as needed.
- To create the virtual network and close Virtual Network Manager, click OK. Or, click Apply to create the virtual network and continue using Virtual Network Manager.
Configure a static MAC address for the SWG virtual appliance:
A virtual machine on a Hyper-V server platform is by default configured to use dynamic MAC addresses. When SWG runs as a virtual appliance on this platform, using dynamic MAC addresses results in losing IP address information after a reboot. This is why, you have to change the default settings to let the virtual appliance use a static MAC address.
- Open Hyper-V Manager.
- Right-click the SWG virtual machine, click Settings | Network Adapter | Advanced Features.
- Select Static and specify a MAC address.
- Click OK.
You have now successfully set up SWG on Hyper-V and configured it to run as a virtual appliance.